Sunday, March 28, 2010

"Just relax and think happy thoughts"

"Just relax and think happy thoughts." Those were the words of wisdom that my surf instructor gave me, when I was struggling to get up on my board. I love that Aussie outlook on life. All I'd have to do was just relax, and I'd be able to surf. Haha.

We had surfing lessons at Trigg Beach at 8:45 on Saturday morning. I was so excited to see if I would be able to do it! We paid and got our wetsuits on.. and we started by taking our boards to the beach. First we had to lay our boards down and pretend we were in the water. You had to lay toward the back of the "deck" with your feet hanging off the end. Then you have to start paddling as the wave gets closer to you. This helps you catch the wave. Once you've caught it, you slowly pull up your back foot so you can plant it as you stand up with the other foot. Kind of confusing, but pretty simple actually.

It was so cool to try it in the water!! At first we just practiced catching waves and riding on the board without standing up. The waves were so powerful that day! The instructors said that we took lessons on one of the roughest days! When I tried standing up, I couldn't even push myself up! Apparently I was doing it wrong, the instructor said I was first getting on my knees and then trying to get up. I was able to get to my feet after a while, but couldn't balance enough to stay on long enough. The longest I was up was about 2 seconds! It was still one of the best things I've done so far on my trip!! I am pretty sore today, and I have multiple bruises, but it was all worth it. I can't wait to go back again!

No comments:

Post a Comment