Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Jumpahs, thongs, lollies, and Maccas!

Hey there, I know I haven't written in a while! Sorry, just not too much to talk about that I haven't already mentioned. Nonetheless it's been a busy couple weeks! What with assignments due left and right, group meetings, and some relaxation on my downtime. It's been getting colder and colder lately! The other night I actually saw my breath outside! NOT OKAY! Haha. I had no idea it was going to actually get cold, I thought that was just a myth.... oops! So.. here I am without any decently warm clothes to wear. I brought heaps of tank tops and tshirts though. My bad.

I am getting ready to leave for New Zealand in 2 days! I just have to turn in 2 last assignments and then I'm home free! It'll be a great vacation after these last 6 weeks of school. After I get home, I have 2 finals spread out over the course of 5 days, then 5 more days to say goodbye to this wonderful place, then I'm on my way home!

For the rest of this post, I'm going to list all of the new words I have been learning over the course of my study abroad. It's crazy how many times I have to explain a word I say to my flatmate Ashleigh, and vice versa! We have to translate to each other.. and here I thought I was coming to an english speaking country ;-)

Jumper=Sweatshirt
Trolley=Shopping cart
Tomato Sauce=Ketchup
2 Minute Noodles=Ramen
Thongs=Flip flops
Touch Wood=Knock on wood
Biscuits=Cookies
Lolly=candy
Doona=Bed Comforter
Bloke=Guy
Kindie=Kindergarten
Arvo=Afternoon
How are you going?=How are you doing...(I get asked this any time I walk into a store)
Maccas=McDonalds
Mark=Grade
Predrink= Pregame
Fringe=Bangs
Hair Lacky=Hair tie
Muesli=Granola
Rubbish bin=Garbage can
Mobile=Cell phone
Sunnies=Sunglasses
Brekkie=Breakfast
Capsicum=Bell Pepper
Dodgey=Creepy/Sketchy
Rock Up=Show up "I hope my group members rock up"
Good on ya=Good for you, good job
Dunny=Toilet
Boot=Trunk (of car)
Chips=Fries
Heaps=Lots of/Tons
Skull=Chug a drink
Wanker=Idiot/loser
No Worries=You're welcome/no problem
Reckon=to think, believe
Middy=Small glass of beer
Chewy=Gum


Hope you learned something new!! :) I will definitely keep using some of these words when I come home!


Me in front of the Perth skyline


My favorite thing

No comments:

Post a Comment